The aim of Final Lap is to ensure that staff of MHA care homes help residents and staff to face the reality of death with openness and positivity.
The e-learning comprises two 45-minute modules and supporting documentation including a Learner Journal and Mentor’s Guide. The initiative is supported by two or three champions in a care home who act as mentors to staff that undertake the course.
Module 1, What is a good death? enables learners to:
- Recognise the probability of death for residents in an MHA home
- Describe the ways that different faiths and cultures acknowledge death and celebrate the end of life
- List ways of overcoming and addressing the taboo of death
- Recognise their own attitude to death and that of the home itself
- Identify the rules and regulations that must be observed when a death occurs in the home
Module 2, How to support end of life care, enables the learner to:
- Describe methods for discussing death with the service user and supporting their wishes
- List techniques that can help support a good death
- Describe methods for supporting relatives and care staff after a death
- Identify where to find further information about issues before and after a death